The document verification process in Nepal can be a headache and time consuming when you don’t have the proper information or you are misguided.
This post will give you a comprehensive idea of the entire document verification or document attestation process in Nepal.
If you are applying for any universities abroad, they require your educational documents to be verified with a stamp from different organizations here in Nepal.
Here I am sharing with you all the general process for verifying documents starting from University ending to the Embassy.
This is based on my personal experience and some steps might have differed slightly but still, the information will be relevant at the time you are reading this.
The document verification process in Nepal starts from your university or higher education provider and may end at your desired destination country’s embassy.
For me, I had to verify my documents for abroad education which involved the following major steps:
Verifying the documents at the University
- The first thing to do is getting your educational documents verified from your university
- You need to visit University’s central office, if you are a graduate of TU then you need to go to Balkhu
- fill an application form, pay some charges at the bank counter
- you shouldn’t be amazed to see a huge crowd
- visit the verification department with your document (original or photocopies)
- they will put a stamp on the document and hand you back
- if you reach office on time it might get finished within an hour
Further verification by Ministry of Education, Kesharmahal
- Take the verified documents from TU to Education Wing at Thamel, Kesharmahal
- The queue might not be long so chances are high you will get it done quick
- no need to fill any application forms
- handover the documents and it will be instantly done
- if there’s no queue it won’t take more than a couple of minutes to finish
recommended for you:
- Online cake delivery companies in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Updated List of A class Banks in Nepal with paid-up Capital
- List of Verified Facebook Pages from Nepal with Verification Process
Ministry of Foreign Affairs also verifies your documents, Tripureshwor
- Take the verified document from education wing
- don’t get amazed to see a really huge crowd here
- you need to submit a photocopy of the documents you need to verify from here, meaning that you need to make a copy of the document you verified in education ministry by photocopying.
- if you are verifying someone other’s document then you need to submit a photocopy of your citizenship and the document owner.
- officers might ask for an authorization letter if you the document if being verified in someone’s behalf
- find the application form, it might be difficult to sort everything there because of a huge crowd
- with the application form, you will get a token number, fill the form and wait for your turn to pay the fees at the bank counter
- submit documents at the indicated counter
- wait until your turn comes
- before it used to take a lot of time, now if you have sufficient documents and everything ready, most possibly you will get your documents verified within 30 minutes!! this is cool! 😀
At the Embassy (depends)
- some universities require that your documents be verified by their embassies too
- visit respective country’s embassy and submit documents
- they might require foreign currencies like US Dollar as charges, contact your embassy beforehand to make sure of it
- depending upon the working style of embassy they make take the time up to a week or more.
Key Points to Remember
- carry your original documents with you, someplace require and some keep until documents are verified
- You need to submit the same document from stage 1 to stage 4.
- verification at each stage requires the document to be verified at an earlier stage this means, to get your documents verified at Foreign Affairs, the document should be verified before at Education Ministry, and Education Ministry similarly requires University’s verification to verify
- You can’t skip any steps (stage 4 might be optional)
- You can verify your original document or their photocopies or both
- the charge will increase with the increase in the number of papers to be verified
- almost all the above offices will be closed on Saturdays and Government Holidays
- some offices have specific timing make sure of them
- Nepali Government Offices on Friday after ~2 pm they mightn’t accept
- if you are verifying someone other’s document may be of your relatives or friends, they might ask for some relationship proofs or some request letter with the document owner’s signature
- I recommend you to take earphones, some snacks so you can enjoy while waiting!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
As simple as the term, it is the process of verifying your documents by relevant authorities, specifically speaking verifying by the issuer or some authorities that may need it. It is an authentication process to know if the documents like your academic transcript, character certificate or employment records are correct and genuine.
There might be several reasons for document attestation. Primarily it can be for further study in a different educational organization or employment opportunities in the local or international field.
If you have any queries or confusion, leave in comment below, I will be more than happy to get back to you.