In this blog post, I will list and explain in brief the first essential tasks that you do or need to do to make your stay pleasant in Australia. There are still lots of things and works to do, I am trying to list some basic works here, that I did.
I am currently residing in South Australia, and all steps are somehow similar in all the states.
After you land in Australian Airport, have someone to pick you up, or you can take public transportations to reach to your destination. If you already arranged accommodation, then its easier for you. Else, you can stay for few days in hotels, lodges and hostels. Shared apartments, housings and units are available, you can google for more details. If you have someone here, ask him/ her to guide you or help you in accommodation. You can also find different communities in Social Networks like facebook, who will be happy to help you! They are just a touch way!
2. Opening up an Australian Bank Account
The foremost official task to do after being landed in Australia within in few days is opening up a bank account. Bank account is important and needed in most cases here, like paying bills or taking sim cards in plan or be it for debit/ credit cards or whatever.
I have brought a Bank draft (AC payee cheque) from Nepal, and it was a must for me to get it deposited in bank account as I hadn’t brought any cash with me.
Following are major things to know about opening up a bank account in Australia:
- there are different Banks proving banking services in Australia, you can choose your desired one and one which is convenient for you by location, ATMs and more.
- visit your nearest preferred branch of bank with passport and you can take your visa paper or remember your visa expiry date incase they ask you
- bank staff will come to you to assist you and open up a bank account for you
- provide information and answers the staff asks to you and your bank account will be ready in about 5-10 minutes
- they will handover your account details, guide book containing useful information, and a letter that you can provide to your employee to pay you through your bank
your cards will arrive in your address you provided in few business days
- if you are depositing bank draft/ cheque, tell bank staff about this and they will be more than happy to assist you and do it for you.
- the cheque amount will be loaded to your account in few business days.
- you don’t need to pay any fees or deposit any amount for opening a bank account! The regular fee will be waived for few months!
3. Buy a SIM Card/ Mobile Phone Plan
If you don’t have SIM card, you need to get one here. As you move around town and city you might require data connection to browse internet, to find places and for navigation and routes.
If you already have a phone that supports Australian sim card, you can just buy a sim card.
If you want to get a mobile phone and sim card, then you can get both in monthly plan, payable in 1/2/3 years depending upon the contract.
You can also buy mobile phones separately.
Few usful things:
- take your passport/ student card(if you have or COE incase they ask) and your bank account number and BSB code.
- visit your nearest preferred network provider’s store, you might get sim cards in convenience store, mobile phone stores and repairing centers too
- one staff will come to you and assist you in choosing plans. s/he will explain you all details, and would be more than happy to answer your queries
- choose your preferred data plan and they will activate the sim card instantly
- in most cases, local calls and sms inside Australia are free, you just pay for data plan
- you need to sign up a contract paper
- you don’t need to pay any fees, in store if your are getting in plan, instead they will be deducted from your bank account in next billing period(unless you are buying a phone paying full price)
4. Buying a metro card
To travel in train, tram or bus you can buy ticket in stations/ stops or in the vehicle itself with cash and card or you can get prepaid cards. Better and easier are prepaid cards, which you can buy from your nearest convenience store. Such card might differ with state. Here in Adelaide, there is metrocard which is valid for travelling in bus, trams and trains. You can load certain balance from the convenience store itself or through different mediums.
5. Visit your University/ College and inform you have arrived
Visit your educational institution and inform them you have arrived here in Australia. They might provide you with your student ID card too. ID card is essential if you wish to get concession in public vehicles. Also, inform them about your address you are staying here.
6. Appying for a TFN (Tax File Number) number
Last, but not the least, you should apply for a Tax File Number.
- you can apply for TFN online through Australia government’s official site
be aware while googling for site; there might be different ads, australian government sites end with .gov.au domain.
visit: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Apply-for-a-TFN/ to appy for TFN
- you need your passport number and address of resident in Australia
- TFN will be posted to your address within 28 days
- you don’t need to pay any charges to apply for TFN!
These were the essential tasks to do that any international students or any one coming to Australia needs to do. There might be several others too, if I find any I will update here. If you have any comment down below!
Have a good day!
Posts you might like
Himalayan country Nepal is celebrating and welcoming guests from the world in the year 2020 under the campaign Visit Nepal 2020. This post gives you highlights on Nepal's tourism, Visit... read more
I am trying to bring everything together here. Everything about Nepal in Adelaide.Be it a Nepali restaurant, a community, businesses or grocery store. read more
This post is about how you can obtain Bank Draft from major bank in Nepal. I am sharing this information on the basis of how I obtained one from Nepal... read more
Obtaining NOC letter from Ministry of Education requires lot of formal processes and documentation. This post will ease your work. Just read once, and save your time. Be Smart! read more
Nepal Rastra Bank has licensed around 49 companies for providing remittance services in Nepal. This list contains the organization name, address and their contact number. read more
How do you know if a Google review is genuine or fake? Read this blog to find out how you can spot a fake review at a glance! read more
Adventure Travel Companies in Nepal with their location, contact details and more information. More than 60 businesses listed. read more
A personal blog on how I started capturing 360 photos with Google Street View app and reached to be awarded with Trusted Street View Photographer Badge by Google across its... read more
This is a set of questions that were asked in recently held IELTS exam on Jan 6, 2018. All the questions of Speaking, Reading, Writing and Listening are mentioned here.... read more
Different IT/ ICT Colleges in Nepal are mapped below in the google maps. Computer Engineering, BCA, Bsc CSIT, Software Engineering, BIM etc. read more
All the coffee industries of Nepal from small to large scale, their location, contact details and their brand product is listed in this post. read more
There are 28 A class banks in operation in Nepal according to Nepal Rastra Bank(NRB). In this post, the details of these A class banks are presented with their operation... read more
This is a comprehensive guideline with format for writing report of Tribhuwan University Bachelors of Social Work BSW Second year. TU BSW notes, old question, syllabus, report, proposal, manual, solution... read more
All you need to know to write a project proposal, with every topics explained. Be it for engineering, Bsc CSIT, TU, PU, KU or anywhere you can use this as... read more
Writing about the Google Local Guides Nepal - Nepal Local Guides Summit 2017 held at Nagarkot. How I started contributing to Google maps, and more. read more
List of agricultaral colleges, agro colleges, universities and educational organization in Nepal with their Location, , programs offered and more. read more
Explaining you, the details of document verification process, time it takes and major activitied involved in Nepal from university, education ministry, consular section of foreign ministry and the embassy. read more
Dhorpatan Hunting Resrve is the one and only hunting reserve in Nepal. All the detail information of DHR including data, visualization, facts and figures, photos and almost you all need... read more
National Cyber Olympiad Nepal ICT Quiz 2073, Brush Up Online, IT quiz in Nepal by Brush Up online read more