This is a brief guide to Proposal Writing for your Project. Somewhere in your study, or in life, you might have to write proposals before doing your projects.
Generally Proposals are to be submitted to higher authorities or your university/company to inform them what you are doing and how will you do using what type of resources in what time.
Proposals are written when people need to ask permission to make a purchase, do a project, or write a paper; the proposal is a formal way of putting forth an idea and asking for action to be taken on that idea. source
Here below, I have described the most precised and general way of writing project proposal.
This guide is prepared in reference to the proposal for Bsc CSIT of TU, however it is almost similar in every field.
All the topics are explained in brief below:
Before starting to the main contents, lets know about the general format, fonts and more.
- proposal should be short enough to explain your project
- don’t use page breaks to start a new topic, continue writing next topic after a topic finishes with some gap
line spacing: 1.5
Margins( in inch):Left 1.5, Right 1,Top 1 and Bottom 1
any font of Sans Series only(Times new roman, Calibri etc.)
- Title: 14
- Sub heading: 12 bold
- Normal texts: 12
Latex: APA format
Lets dive into contents now.
- should be catchy and specific to domain not broad
- try to make your title not so long, minimize use of many words
- give your application/product a good name
- introduction is short and right to the point of information
- write what exactly your project does
- in about 2-3 lines
This mobile application provides user to track, record, monetize his/her family members’ travel activities through the use of GPS technology and location services.
2. Problem Definition##
- make it critical
- the problem should be stated in such a way that if there is no project there would be a great loss/impact
These days, parents are having a diffcult time as many children go to different places and don’t tell parents their exact location.
- mention the main aim of your project, think about the outcome
- always start from To
- objectives should be: specific, measurable , achievable, realistic, timebound
- keep 3-4 objectives
- To develop a mobile application that tracks user’s daily activities
- To make it easier for parents to know where there children are in real time
4. Scope and limitation##
- In scope write about what consequences your project outcome can bring
- mention what extra feature you would like to add, or write about the scalabity and extendability of your product
you can write about what impacts it can create when it goes on large scale
Whereas in limitation
- write about some of the things you couldn’t include but always wanted to
- mention the performance limitations, real time working dependance
- writing about the accuracy of the data you take and processed result will make your proposal more precised
While talking about the software development model in our case, in methodoly you write about the methods you are going to use to achieve your objectives.
Its main content should be:
5.1 Software Development Model (with justification)
In software development model,
- you mention which software development model you will be using, and
- the reason for choosing this model despite of other models.
5.2 Study of existing system (literature review)
Literature review is the study and research of similar systems/applications that are already developed or are alreay in market which are in someway similar to yours.
Discuss about any such application, their outcome or quote any sayings here. Including date, author name, developer name might be good and attractive.
You can also include at least 5 websites, apps , books etc that are someway related to your project or give you inspiration to do.
5.3 Data Collection (requirement collection)
In data collection, you mention how you are going to collect various data that are needed for your project development.
Mention about the primary and seconday sources of your data.
Some of the data sources for technological projects might be:
- web surfing,
- questionnaire, and so on.
5.4 Requirement Analysis##
- Change user requirement into system requirement
- group to functional and non functional requirement
5.5 Feasibility Analysis##
Write about the feasibility of your product after development. Mention about various feasible areas like operational, economial, technical etc.
This software is operationly, economically, technically feasible.
When you develop an application/ software testing is inevitable to minimize various errors and make your product more accurate and optimized.
In this section, briefly write about the different testing approaches you will be using.
- Unit testing
- Integrated testing
- System testing
- Acceptance test
5.7 Tools used##
We make use of different available tools and technologies to develop our product.
In tools used section we mention the various such tools we will be using or are planning to use.
- Just write their purpose and recommended is their versions for use
- don’t write definition of tools
Backend/database: Ruby on Rails(ruby 2.4.0p0, Rails 5.1.0), PostgreSQL 9.6.3
6. Overview of system##
- Pictorial representaion of your sytem comes under overview of the system.
diagram should explain how the overall system works You can include any of the following:
- Diagram of server, user, setup
and use case diagram
DFD (best to use this)
7. Time schedule (GANTT chart)##
In time schedule, you give the brief summary of how much time the project will take including all steps. Represent them in GANTT chart.
8. Expected outcome##
- write about what your product should do
- remember meeting the objective
- good to write about the time taken for processing
Mention some books, publications and their authors that you may reference to somewhere during the project
You can include:1-2 books, websites etc
External resources for you
This is a class note I wrote as our project guide explained how to write Project Proposal for Bsc CSIT Seventh(7th) Sem.
Hope this was useful, comment down for any feedbacks! :)
Posts you might like
This post is about how you can obtain Bank Draft from major bank in Nepal. I am sharing this information on the basis of how I obtained one from Nepal... read more
Obtaining NOC letter from Ministry of Education requires lot of formal processes and documentation. This post will ease your work. Just read once, and save your time. Be Smart! read more
Listing some basic official tasks that you need to do after arriving in Australia. Opening a bank account, taking sim card/ mobile phone, buying a metro card, and opening a... read more
Nepal Rastra Bank has licensed around 49 companies for providing remittance services in Nepal. This list contains the organization name, address and their contact number. read more
Adventure Travel Companies in Nepal with their location, contact details and more information. More than 60 businesses listed. read more
A personal blog on how I started capturing 360 photos with Google Street View app and reached to be awarded with Trusted Street View Photographer Badge by Google across its... read more
This is a set of questions that were asked in recently held IELTS exam on Jan 6, 2018. All the questions of Speaking, Reading, Writing and Listening are mentioned here.... read more
Different IT/ ICT Colleges in Nepal are mapped below in the google maps. Computer Engineering, BCA, Bsc CSIT, Software Engineering, BIM etc. read more
All the coffee industries of Nepal from small to large scale, their location, contact details and their brand product is listed in this post. read more
There are 28 A class banks in operation in Nepal according to Nepal Rastra Bank(NRB). In this post, the details of these A class banks are presented with their operation... read more
This is a comprehensive guideline with format for writing report of Tribhuwan University Bachelors of Social Work BSW Second year. TU BSW notes, old question, syllabus, report, proposal, manual, solution... read more
Writing about the Google Local Guides Nepal - Nepal Local Guides Summit 2017 held at Nagarkot. How I started contributing to Google maps, and more. read more
List of agricultaral colleges, agro colleges, universities and educational organization in Nepal with their Location, , programs offered and more. read more
Explaining you, the details of document verification process, time it takes and major activitied involved in Nepal from university, education ministry, consular section of foreign ministry and the embassy. read more
Dhorpatan Hunting Resrve is the one and only hunting reserve in Nepal. All the detail information of DHR including data, visualization, facts and figures, photos and almost you all need... read more
National Cyber Olympiad Nepal ICT Quiz 2073, Brush Up Online, IT quiz in Nepal by Brush Up online read more
Know how you can exchange foreign currencies in Nepal, What documents are required, how much can be exchanged , and where to exchange in this blog post read more